Custom Crosshairs

Xappan

Hello!

It's generally accepted that the default crosshair in gmod is boring, and kinda hard to see at times, and its also accepted that while the server's custom crosshairs are good they are off centre by some pixel, which to be fair is not a problem, but a tad irritating.

To circumvent all of these there are two options:

1. The easy solution: If you just want something to help you aim you can type "hud_draw_fixed_reticle 1" in the console, to get a secondary crosshair outside the first one. We're talking about the outer one, the big two bent lines. Once you get used to it its quite handy, as it stays there even when you use sweps (like keys) that has no crosshair by default. 

1210575251_crosshairfixed.JPG.462391be4326f02c2566892f0e9807d0.JPG

2. The "hard" way: You can actually change the 5 dots that compose the crosshair. To do this you must either get one already made from the internet, or make one yourself. But here is the tricky part: for some reason that only our lord Gaben knows the crosshair is stored as a font. Yes like the fonts used in typing, like times new roman. It occupies the letter "Q" if I'm correct. So at this point you have two options basically: The hard one is getting a software, learning how to edit fonts, editing it, and saving it. And the easier one, is googling one, finding one you like, and using that. Thanks to Gaben Gmod uses the same font as HL2, so any hl2 font type you can find on the internet can be used.

But first thing first: the font itself is located in: "...\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\resource" as "HALFLIFE2.ttf". Before trying to mess with it I suggest you make a copy of it and save it as a backup. This file is what we need to either edit (if you want to do it the hard way), or get a new one of if you're going the easy way. Typing "HL2 crosshair fonts" in google is quite easy, and so is finding some crosshairs, but for those who want a head start this site has some already, just click "Client Crosshairs" and in that search for one you like. (HL2 Deathmatch was the reason many of these were created it seems)

So find one you like on the internet, download it, rename it to "HALFLIFE2.ttf" and replace the one in the gmod folder. If done correctly you'll have a new crosshair to look at in game. Mine for example:

crosshair.JPG.ae27f5df3961263dfe8d70d86114de62.JPG

Quite easy and quite fun! Hope it helps. This is in no way hard or complex, just I tought many people could benefit from this, or are too lazy to search it up on their own, so I wrote down what I found.

Cheers!

P.S.: There is supposedly a way to change the colour of it too but you look that up, I like the mustard yellow to be honest.

2 minutes ago, _RzVibration said:

another easy solution is to just use the custom one thats already on the server, or download one off the workshop 

True, but as I said: it is slightly off centre and it triggers me haha.

Edit: Also with this method you can get crosshairs that are unique and you couldn't with the inbuilt addon.