The Ultimate Guide to Binding

Zuma

Btw, with the overlapping guns (two guns per bind) if a job has both guns this can actually be a neat little trick to essentially have 2 guns on one key. The game actually gets the first gun out and then immediately gets the second one out, so you can use your “switch to previous weapon” key or whatever the hell its called to switch.

For example, bind g “use bb_awp;use m9k_m14sp”

I press g and it equips my M14. Now if I press the key that switches to my previous weapon, it will get out the awp.

Also you dont need to rejoin to “refresh” your autoexec file. Just type “exec autoexec.cfg” into your console.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to use BHOP swep and Climb more efficiently (with Magic Sword).. This is my method, perhaps someone has better solution and could share.

// Binds
bind mouse3 "+boostbhop"
bind backspace "+boostclimb"

// Magic Sword + BHOP
alias +boostbhop "use weapon_lightsaber"
alias -boostbhop "use bhop_swep"

// Magic Sword + Climb
alias +boostclimb "use weapon_lightsaber"
alias -boostclimb "use climb_swep2"

Replace mouse3 / backspace with whatever you want (I have backspace bound to a free key on my mouse, backspace was just a random key I had unbound).

The way this works is, you hold down the key (whichever you chose), wait until the magic sword has fully deployed (doesn't work any other way and gmod doesnt have wait command to make better scripts, I tried several commands to delay the execution of a second command, eg. act etc, nothing worked) and then use +attack2 (typically right mouse click, I have something different). After you perform the jump, let go of the key. You will be then automatically switched to either BHOP swep or Climb. Takes a bit of practice at first, but once mastered, you'll be getting away real quick.

The beauty of this method is that you are not forced to perform the jump if you don't want to. You can also use these same binds just to quickly switch to the swep. Need to climb somewhere quickly but don't need the full force of magic sword? Just press your key once and it will switch to the swep without jumping, if you didn't use +attack2. Good if your CJ has many tools/weapons under 1st key and trying to get out that climb/bhop swep in a tricky situation is troublesome.

=========================================

Also, if you feel like your CJ has too many weapons under one key, you could reduce the amount of weapons you have under that key and also the order.

I'll make one example with Rebellion and key 4.

alias key4 "key41" // initially set the first weapon to be whatever alias key41 says
alias key41 "use m9k_1897winchester; alias key4 key42" // 1st weapon is Winchester, set up alias key4 for the 2nd weapon
alias key42 "use m9k_ithacam37; alias key4 key43" // 2nd weapon is Ithaca M37, set up alias key4 for the 3rd weapon
alias key43 "use m9k_usas; alias key4 key41" // 3rd weapon is USAS, reset the key4 to the beginning of cycle

bind 1 "slot1; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning
bind 2 "slot2; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning
bind 3 "slot3; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning
bind 4 "key4"
bind 5 "slot5; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning
bind 6 "slot6; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning

alias reset "bind 1 slot1; bind 2 slot2; bind 3 slot3; bind 4 slot4; bind 5 slot5; bind 6 slot6" // if you change job and want to reset keys back to original, write reset to console

You can add more weapons if you want, heck, you could put all your weapons, sweps and physgun under number 1 if you want. Don't like the order of batons and pistols under key 2? No problem. If you want something custom and can't figure it out yourself, contact me and I will help.

Keep in mind you'll have to use hud_fastswitch 1 for these things to work efficiently.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:20 PM, Caffe said:
// Binds
bind mouse3 "+boostbhop"
bind backspace "+boostclimb"

// Magic Sword + BHOP
alias +boostbhop "use weapon_lightsaber"
alias -boostbhop "use bhop_swep"

// Magic Sword + Climb
alias +boostclimb "use weapon_lightsaber"
alias -boostclimb "use climb_swep2"

I found out about + and - aliases the other day but couldn't think of a good use for them so this is very cool!

On 7/16/2022 at 6:20 PM, Caffe said:
alias key4 "key41" // initially set the first weapon to be whatever alias key41 says
alias key41 "use m9k_1897winchester; alias key4 key42" // 1st weapon is Winchester, set up alias key4 for the 2nd weapon
alias key42 "use m9k_ithacam37; alias key4 key43" // 2nd weapon is Ithaca M37, set up alias key4 for the 3rd weapon
alias key43 "use m9k_usas; alias key4 key41" // 3rd weapon is USAS, reset the key4 to the beginning of cycle

bind 1 "slot1; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning
bind 2 "slot2; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning
bind 3 "slot3; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning
bind 4 "key4"
bind 5 "slot5; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning
bind 6 "slot6; alias key4 key41" // just need to reset the key4 alias, so when pressing 4 again the cycle starts from beginning

alias reset "bind 1 slot1; bind 2 slot2; bind 3 slot3; bind 4 slot4; bind 5 slot5; bind 6 slot6" // if you change job and want to reset keys back to original, write reset to console

This is something I would never have thought of. It will be very useful for taking weapons that I already have binded out of the weapon wheel.

Thanks for sharing these techniques!