Random Garry's mod crashes

JamesFloww

Okay so recently I've seen @Toast The Third complain about his Garry's mod crashing. I would of messaged him in PM's but his inbox didn't work. I couldn't find him on steam and couldn't get in game as i'm banned and i couldn't contact him on TS. So maybe this is kind of a guide but kind of to help others?? I don't know you decide.

Anyway there are many ways to fix this. Some worked for me some didn't.

Fix 1: 

Although it doesn't seem likely for this to work as it seems very stupid. I had to set all my graphic and video settings to low or very low and this would extend the crash for about 2 hours. Then randomly i turned it back to high and very high and it worked for a couple days and started crashing again. So this could be a fix for some people.

Fix 2: (This was the one that fixed my Garry's mod)

Go onto steam and click library go to games and right click Garry's mod clicking properties and looking at general then go to set launch options. In there do -dxlevel 90. Once you've done that load up Garry's mod. Although it looks fucking terrible and looks like 360P it fixed my Garry's mod. After a week i removed the dxlevel 90 and it started working again fine and i could go back to normal graphics.

Fix 3:

Do both fix 1 and 3 at the same time and if all else fails. Go to fix 5

Fix 4:

Do the exact same as fix 2 but instead of doing -dxlevel 90 do +mat_dxlevel 95.

Fix 5:

If all else fails and you have enough time delete local content by right clicking Garry's mod in the steam library and looking at the bottom and it should be there. Then once that has happened re-install the game.

And finally

Fix 6:

Disable your anti-virus while playing Garry's mod as this could be causing it to crash and also unsubscribe from all current addons you're subscribed too as this could also be a reason for it crashing.

Thank you for reading, hopefully some of these fixes your Garry's mod and lets you play again!

-JamesFloww

• roast pinned and locked this topic
  • roast unpinned this topic