DarkRP: The Complete Guide: Building your base

DelCampino

lmxiDnql.jpg

Hello and welcome to Cloud Gaming! This guide will teach you all of the information that you will need in order to play on our DarkRP server. As this is a big project, it will be updated every once in a while with a new chapter.

Don't forget that this guide will teach you the ways of DarkRP as it is played on our CG DarkRP Server. Rules and gameplay on other servers might vary. This guide will include everything you need, from base building and making cash, to fighting crime in the city. You will find everything here!

Table of Contents:
-DarkRP: The basics and rules-
-Choosing your job-
-Making your first base-
-Making money and how to spend it- 

-Weaponry and self defense-
-Tips and Tricks-

-Tools & Equipment-
... (More to come!)

As I said, I will try and update this guide as much as I can! Starting with Basics and Rules. Our community already has a lot of wonderful guides; and if I want to integrate some, I will first ask permission to the owner of that guide and they will be credited for their help. The goal of this is that new players are able to go and enjoy the full RP experience after reading this, and minimizing the amount of rules being broken.
Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy the guide!

UlJMnb7z2.png

So far, you've chosen your job and your character. But now, you're going to need a place to live!

The kind of place you live in depends on what job you are. A gangster is going to care more about protecting his property than a job such as DJ. So, this guide will inform you of some handy tricks and components that are necessarry for your base. Much like everything else on Cloud Gaming, properties also have rules.
Before we start discussing the components of a base, you should read the most important rules that every base needs to follow.

The basic rules for properties:

Entrances: Your base needs a clear and obvious entrance. There needs to be a way for raiders to access every room in your property.

Owning doors: You must own all of the doors in a building for it to be your property.

Vanilla doors or wooden doors: Doors that can be bought must not be blocked by props, unless they are planned to always be open.

No-Collided props: You can't have no-collided props in your building. (Props that you can walk through) The only time you are allowed this kind of prop is when you are constructing your base. Remove no collide when you are finished building.

Building Usage: If you buy or own a building, you must use it.

Fading doors: You may have up to 3 fadings doors in a base,each one opening for atleast 4 seconds. Both sides of the door need an obvious and reachable keypad or button. You may only have 1 fading door to protect each entity.

Movement: You need to be able to reach every room in the base without jumping or crouching.

FDA: Fading door abuse: You must open all doors with a button or keypad. Which will open the door for at least 4 seconds.

RDR : Raider-Defender Rule: When you are able to shoot your enemy, you must be able to see each other.

Building Sign: You may not raid a base that has a raiding sign by the entrance. You need a building sign on every entrance of your base.

Minge raid: You may not raid a property that clearly has no loot in it.

KOS Sign: Tresspasers may be killed without warning if a KOS sign ("Kill On Sight") is placed at the entrance. If there is no sign at the entrance, you must give the tresspasser a single warning before you may shoot them.

Pavement: When owning a property, you also own the pavement to the extremities of your property. You may build in this area however an admin deems it to be unreasonably big, ugly or unrealistic, it may be removed.

I recommend you check out all of the complete
property rules by clicking here!

The Building tools:
Garry's mod offers a handful of tools that you will use to build your base. Of course, to make it more easier, our server offers even more tools that will help you make the base you desire. Here are the tools that are more frequently used to build:

Location of the tools:

gE8M2uy42.jpg

Fading door tool: This tool is used to make props into fading doors. This means the prop will disappear when the assigned key is pressed. If you want to know how to make fading doors, please look below.

Keypad tool: Use this tool to make keypads. When the right code is used, the keypad will simulate a keyboard button being pressed. This is mostly used to make fading doors. Make sure your keypads are in an obvious and reachable place.

Button tool:
Similar to the keypad tool, a button simulates a keyboard bind when it is active. This tool is mostly used in combination with shooting windows, please see below.

Weld tool: This tool is used to weld two props together. In other words they will be connected and stay in their place. Use this to prevent battering rams from unfreezing your props.

No-Collide tool: Use this tool to prevent two props from colliding into each other. Simply use the tool on the first and second prop. Do remember that using the right-click option to completely no-collide a tool is NOT allowed on the server.

Textscreen tool:
Use this tool to create text and signs ingame. Simply click on the location you want the sign to appear.

Remover tool: Use this tool to remove your props. Simply click on them with the tool equiped.

Color tool: This tool is used to give props a color. You can change the colour, effect and transparency in the menu. You may make props transparent,but not nearly or completely invisible.

Material tool: Use this tool to change the material of a prop. Simply choose a material out of the list and click on the prop.

Stacker tool: This tool is used to stack props. With its advanced menu, you can click on props to make an exact copy of it right next to itself. This makes building walls and such faster and cleaner.

Precision tool: This tool can be used to move props with an exact amount, making it really useful to do add finishing touches or if you want something done in an exact way.

Smart Weld: A better version of the weld tool which allows you to snap on a specific grid on props.

Camera Tool: This tool has the ability to spawn a camera. A camera can be controlled by a key and gives you an advantage of looking at your base wherever you are.

VIP/Gold VIP Tools:
These tools are for donators only. They are really helpful whilst building and are for donators only to prevent any abuse. Please check the donators tab to know which tools your rank gets access to.

Advanced Duplicator 2 tool: This tool is used to duplicate and save entire bases, so they can be re-used on singleplayer or can simply be re-spawned when entering the server another time.

The Building Props:
These props are the most useful and made for building.
Of course,you are allowed to use any props (except blacklisted) in your base,
but i recommend you use these to speed up and make your base cleaner.
(See the legend for the location of these props)

Construction and comic props: These are mostly decorative props. Although there are some props that are really useful to use in your base, like the fence and one-way prop. More info will be in the components part of the guide (see below).

Counter Strike: Map props : These are (in my opinion) the best decoration props to use in houses, or public spaces.

Builder: General props: These are the most useful props for building. These mostly consist of flat props of any size. I recommend you use these when building walls and such.

The components in a base:

Like i mentioned before,there are all kinds of bases to create. But a lot of bases use the same components. So here are some parts of bases you are able to use.

The Vanilla Door:
gKdHoHAll.jpg
You will find these in almost every building, which are the basic wooden doors. Pressing F2 on these with the "Keys"tool equiped will buy them. Pressing F2 again will give you a menu, with the options to sell the door, add more owners that can lock and unlock the door, remove owners and set the door title. Setting the door title will change the white text that is displayed on the door when you get close to it.

You can simply open doors by pressing E on them. Clicking on doors you own will lock them, right clicking will unlock them.

The One-way Prop:
Pn1mn09sG.jpg

This prop is technically a jail window of some kind. But when materialised, it turns into a prop that can be seen through on only one side, making it really handy for bases, and making one is very easy.
Altough it may look like it, this prop is still solid, which means it can't be shot through.

How to make a one-way prop:
1.Spawn the jail window from the first row on the "Contstruction props" tab.
2.Materialise it with any solid material.

Fences:
JuojiskG3.jpg

These are just normal fences that can be found in the "Construction" tab, but the reason they are here is because they have a special property, that being that you can shoot through them.
In other words, it stops entities and people, but not bullets. Use this in your base for some clever shooting!
I do remind you that you are allowed to materialise these,but you may NOT make them solid. If you do use a solid material, use the 'color' tool to make them transparent (like seen here).

The Fading Door:

The fading door is a door that is made out of a prop. Every fading door must be opened with a keypad or button on either side.

How to make a fading door:
1. Spawn a prop that will be used as a door.

2. Search for the 'Fading door' tool in your menu.
Here you can change the button assigned to that door.

3. Press on the prop with your fading door tool.
Now your prop should disappear whenever you hold down the buttion
or keypad you assigned to it.

4. Search for the "Keypad" tool in your menu.
Here you will find a lot of options you must/can adjust:

- Use the "Password" bar to type in a 4 digit password for your fading door.
- You can use the "Secure mode" option to hide your password when you type it in.
This is recommended.
- Assign the same button to the keypad's "Access granted" option as you did to your door.
- Set the "Acess Granted" hold length to 4 seconds minimal.

5. Use the tool where you want to place your keypad. Place it in a reachable and obvious place.

6. Type in the code by pointing at a number and pressing E. Afterwards press OK to open the door.
(You can also point at the keypad and use your numpad and enter to type in the code)

The Shooting Window:

Shooting windows are used to surprise a raider and shooting them. These must always be controlled by a button or keypad, and may not be opened by a keyboard button. They also need to be opened for a minimum of 4 seconds.

How to make a shooting window:
1. Make a wall and a hole in it.
(Remember that the size of this hole needs to be bigger then the lampshade prop,as seen next to the wall in the video)

2. Cover the hole with a prop.

I recommend you use the one-way prop,so you can see the raiders and their moves.

3. Make that prop into a fading door.

4. Attach a button next to the prop and assign it the same button as the fading door.

5. Use the button to open and close your shooting window.

The Trading Window:

The trading window is mostly used in shops of any kind. The customer can place money in the box and the owner can place products in it aswell. This way you are never exposed to any outside danger,just do remember to close one of the doors, as a person can crawl through it.

How to make a Trading Window:
1. Make a wall with a hole which is the size of the prop needed.

2. Place the tunnel prop (as seen in the video) in the hole.

3. Place a 1x1 flat prop on each side of the tunnel.

4. Make the first prop a fading door.

5. Assign a button to the first fading door.

6. Repeat step 5 and 6 on the other side.

7. Now you are able to open both props with the buttons on your side.

Anti-hacking system:

This system is a very easy system to keep hackers from rushing into your base.

How to make an Anti-hacking system:

1. Make a simple setup, with 3 fadings doors. (All equiped with keypads on both sides)

2. Equip the "Fading door" tool and check the "Reverse" box. Use this on any of your doors.

3. This will mean you have lost one fading door (always open), but when a hacker tries to rush in it will close! (temporarliy, afterwards the normal doors will close again and the second one will fade again)

Do understand that this is only a basic system to show how it works,

basiclly when a hacker EMP's the area, it will reverse all the effects of fadings doors.

Use this system to create more enhanced anti-hacking systems!

Now you know every tool, prop and component you need to make your very own base!
But if you aren't satisfied yet, and can't come up with an idea for a base, you can see a video below by our own DarkRP Super Administrator 
Busterguy . He will show you a way to build a basic and defendable base!

Click here to go to his channel for speedbuilds, guides and more!

Version 2.2

Make sure to tell them that no-collide is not allowed! Other then that great work :)
No-Collide tool: Use this tool to prevent two props from colliding into eachother. Simply use the tool on the first and second prop. Do remember that using the right-click option to completely no-collide a tool is NOT allowed to the server.
No-Collided props: You can't have no-collided props in your building. (Props that you can walk through)

Beat you to it :P And thanks!

Really good work, keep it up! Remember you could always put together a team and have more than you working on it by using google drive.

Sorry for my late response.

Thanks! and although i do understand this may increase the speed of the guides being made,i would like this to be a solo project. It may sound stupid,but i like things done "my way". But,the community helps alot with it's feedback!

So if anyone wants to help make these guides better,reply with feedback,fixes or suggestions and ill do my best to add them!

Wow, this guide obviously took a lot of time to make. It is not only a very well detailed guide but also useful to both old and new players. I must say I absolutely love the fact that you are so dedicated to the server that you would spend the time to make something so time consuming yet useful as this. My hat goes off to you sir.

• 2 weeks later...