ShadowPlay - Record your gameplay, Save your highlights AFTER they happened!

Retselom

GeForce - ShadowPlay

Hey guys, many of you might know about this program, and some of you may already have it in their PC without even knowing.

Anyhow, ShadowPlay is a software developed by GeForce (Wiki:GeForce) . This amazing piece of software allows you to:

A. Record normally by pressing some hotkeys.

B. Record the past 3-10 minutes.

C. Recording quality up to 4K resolution with 133Mb/s

What is it good for?

Well, besides the fact that this is a great recording software (like fraps, might be better) you can record the last few minutes of your gameplay.

That will allow you to save highlights in ANY game you play or prove a case on the server.

Lets say someone RDM's you saying "He disrespected me". You just press ALT+F10 and the video is already saved into your folder of choice.

How it works?

Well you have to choose a "temp" folder and a library folder. In the temp folder, temporary files will be saved. In the library, it will automatically split it into every game you record in, means CSGO Highlights will go into its own folder etc..

As i said, just press one hotkey to START recording, or another one to record the PAST.

Okay, enough with the bullshit, lets cut straight to the guide.

1. Check if you already have it, duh.
    As i said, some of you might have it already. The program is GeForce's which is roughly 50% of today's GPU brands.
    The ShadowPlay is a feature inside a bigger software called "GeForce Experience". Just run a simple search on the start menu.
    If you have it, jump to step number ___
  2. If you got here, you don't have the program. Go on this link: http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download and press the download button. Just a simple installer, nothing too much.
  3. Okay, after you have it installed open it and navigate to the "ShadowPlay" feature window on the top right corner.
    oF66qoU.png

4. You will get a new window. Click on the settings button and leave that window open, we will come back to it later.
    Scroll down a bit and you will see the following:
    1. Save last X minutes recorded. This will save the last amount of minutes you will set later on to be saved. Assign what ever hotkey combo you want.
    2. Toggle manual recording. Straight up will start/stop recording. (like fraps). Assign what ever hotkey combo you want.
    3. Toggle broadcast. You can stream directly to twitch from that, i wont be talking about that in the guide.
    4. More broadcast features
    5. More broadcast feature
    6. Not useful, leave it as blank/default.
    7. Will show you on the top left corner your FPS count. Not really useful but its nice to have. Assign what ever hotkey combo you want.
    8. Save location. Thats the folder where all of you SAVED files will be saved. Make sure you have enough room there to save it.
    9. Temp location. Thats the temp folder, make sure you have enough space on your hard drive where you create the folder.

j9V7IXj.png
  5. Going back to the last window.
    Clicking on the "Mode" button will open you that.
    Shadow and Manual - Enables both manual and Shadow recording.
    Shadow - enables only shadow recording.
    Manual - enables only manual recording.
    P4Gfp45.png

6. Thats a really important step. Here you set how long will be your Shadow recording. Set whatever value you think youll need, im at 5 minutes and if its too long i cut the video on Movie Maker/ Whatever software you are using. It will also tell you have much space will each video will take with the quality that we will set in the next step.
    aAIM81A.png

7. Thats the recording quality. I leave it on medium and if you are running highest resolution that will be really good (720/1080p on YT). You can also do high/custom and set your own settings, but i don't find it useful or space-worthy.

Z37XBP5.png

8. Final step is audio. Here you can see 3 modes:
    Ingame - only in game/ skype/ TS audio will be saved with the recorded video.
    In-Game and microphone - Basically any sound you or your PC makes.
    Off- no sound at all. Sucks. Maybe good for manual recording.
    I recommend the 2nd one, in game & Microphone.
    Make sure your on/off switch is enabled and your done!

ep2TPS9.png

FAQ
    - Is the program trust-worthy?
    Definitely yes. As i mentioned, it was made by one of the most known companies of today.

-Should i leave it open all the time?
    Absolutely. While not recording and on shadow mode, you will be saving temp files. That will only be the last 5 minutes of your gameplay which is, if you are with the same settings as me, 825Mb. That's nothing. Just leave it open.

-Will it work even if i don't have a GeForce GPU?
    Apparently it cannot be used on any other GPU brand.

-Can it even be used as an evidence on DarkRP sits?
    Definitely. As a staff member, i can assure you that video evidence is the best thing i can ever get.
    This program once helped me giving roast information on an exploit that made the server crash every time it was executed, and
    probably helped me in a lot of DarkRP sits.

That's it, i hope you guys will actually read it (lol i won't) and use the program. It's really awesome, and extremely useful. Leave a comment!
    CG IS <3

Great guide im not a molester!

Luckily I have the specs in order to do this, so it will come pretty handy in the future.

I've never really bothered to use it in the past because I thought it was just a normal software where you record; so I continued to use Fraps. This looks much better to make reports on rule breakers though!

Thank you!